Whether or not we want to face up to the truth or not, we all have our own random plethora of guilty habits. For the devoted book lover, however, when it comes to our sacred reads, some of these habits can get a little extreme and out of hand. Be honest, are you guilty of any of these
1. Rereading A Favorite Book At Least 10 Times
Hey, this number may soon reach the skies! There’s no limit on how much you can read your favorite stories. Sometimes, rereading certain novels makes the reading experience all the more lovable and memorable.
2. Buying Lovely New Editions Of Books You Already Own
Ooh look how shiny and ethereal that cover is. That one will look great with all your other fifteen copies of Pride and Prejudice.
3. Judging People On Their Bookshelves
I mean, sometimes you really just can’t help it, right?
4. Internet Stalking Your Favorite Author For Hours And Hours And Hours…
I’m pretty sure they’ll just view it as being a very appreciative fan. A fan who just so happens to own three copies of every single thing they’ve ever written, reread them all multiple times, and can’t seem to stop reading their blog for updates about new releases…
5. Imagining Your Life As A Novel…All Day, Every Day
There’s no place like (insert favorite fantasy world here). Also, be sure to click your heels three times to make sure you arrive on schedule.
6. Creating The Musical Score For Each Book You Read
While some readers aren’t particularly a fan of listening to any genre of music while reading, that doesn’t mean they still don’t create an entire soundtrack/score for the novel they’ve had their nose stuck in for hours.
7. Taking On The Catchphrases Of Your Favorite Characters
Just for fun, here’s some for the road:
- “Bah! Humbug!” (Ebenezer Scrooge, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens)
- “The horror! The horror!” (Kurtz, Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad)
- “Old Sport.” (Jay Gatsby, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald)
8. Lying About Your Weekends So You Can..
Finish up those last few chapters! And then start the next novel in the series.
9. Pretending To Have Read Every Classic And Loved It
It’s a very sad day in the life of a bookworm when we have to come to the conclusion that a book is…well painfully boring. It happens! Just put that one down (whether or not it’s a classic) and pick up one you think you’ll enjoy.
10. Books Sometimes Come Before Food
Maybe there’s a way we can fix this. Anyone know of any books you can eat after you finish reading them?
11. Taking Eternity And A Day To Finish A Book Because You Don’t Want It To End
Eh, a couple more months won’t hurt, right?
12. Always Going To Your Favorite Characters And Authors For Life Advice
I mean, who else would we go to? It’s not like those in the ‘outside world’ would ever understand!
13. Worrying Excessively About One Of The Book’s Characters
But why? And where? And how? And with who? And when? Oh, the questions never end!
14. Reading=Free (well, almost) Traveling
Each time we open up a book we know we have the possibility of being transported anywhere around the globe, into a completely unknown dimension, or maybe we’ll just be floating in time. Either way, reading is a much less expensive way to make use of those frequent flyer miles.
Share your guilty habits below! (I promise, I won’t tell!)
Originally Published On #AmReading.com