Okay, so if you’re here, reading this article, that means that you recognize that you have a “problem” or “obsession” with your love of books. Now, it was probably based on the good intentions of your loved ones who care about your well being that encouraged you to seek help.
Well, I’ve got some news for you…
THERE IS NO CURE.
A deep love for books is one that cannot ever wither nor be deposed of in a passionless manner. So, why not make the best of things? Let’s take a trip down memory lane and recount all the red flags we ignored when falling in love with those beautiful pages. Page after page, after page….
1. You Actually Have Dreams About Characters In The Current Book You’re Reading
And those dreams aren’t going anywhere, so get comfortable!
2. Reality Isn’t Somewhere You Want To Be Anymore
The world around you, that all these other ‘normal’ people refer to as reality, couldn’t seem further from the truth for you. All you can eat, drink, and think about are those characters in that book you’re so obsessed with. You know, the novel you take in the shower and sit on the toilet reading for 30 minutes before you actually get in.
3. More Often Than You’d Like To Admit, You Play Out Scenarios In Your Head In Which You Are Another Character In The Novel
You know what they say in acting classes: In order to play the character (in this case, read about the character) you have to become the character! And oh look, you’ve already got a lot of practice done already!
4. When You Find Someone Who Loves A Book As Much As You Do, You Instantly Become The Best Of Friends
Also known as: B.B.B.F.A.E (Best Book Buddies Forever And Ever) #BBBFAE
5. The People You Come In Contact With Every Day Will Never Live Up To Your Expectations
However bittersweet this may be, and as perfect as our favorite fictional characters look in our eyes, they do have their flaws. We just kinda choose not to see them and focus on their good qualities. That’s the same thing we should try and do with real people.
6. You Can’t Stop Yourself From Buying More Books
No matter how hard you try, you have to buy at least one..or two…or three new books for yourself every time you go out or go shopping online(whether secondhand or straight from the author’s hand) or you find yourself getting a little upset. At some point, though, you do need to try and get a hold on your book spending. I don’t like the idea of book buying bans anymore than you do, but the rent has got to get paid! (Until the day when we can live in a home made entirely of our books. How wonderful. Although, that might make it difficult to actually read them…).
7. You Try And Shake It Off When Someone Interrupts Your Reading Time, But Inside You Want To Smack Them For Interrupting Your Precious Reading Time
Excuse me, I’m trying to read and avoid everything around me, could you please chill over there for a sec?
8. No Matter How Many Books You Read, You’ll Never Get Sick Of That Feeling
To put it very simply: books are just really cool and we love them dearly. Always will.
How do you feel each time you pick up a book to read?
Originally Published On #AmReading.com