Just about everyone has read Anne Frank’s diary either while in school or during their own leisure reading time. And, truthfully, I have yet to meet or talk to anyone who wasn’t influenced by it in some way or another. People from all backgrounds, beliefs, and races, can read through this young woman’s diary, nearly 70 years after it was originally published by her father, Otto Frank, and shed tears, as well as smiles as they slowly loose themselves in Anne’s personal thoughts and inspiring world perspectives.
It is my hope that, if you haven’t read The Diary of Anne Frank, these 6 quotes will encourage you to, through literature, re-enter a time in history that forever shaped our world.
1. “I want friends, not admirers. People who respect me for my character and my deeds, not my flattering smile. The circle around me would be much smaller, but what does that matter, as long as they’re sincere?”
2. “You only really get to know a person after a fight. Only then can you judge their true character.”
3. “If people wished, they have it in their hands to make a bigger, more beautiful and better world, but that they occupy themselves with superficial things, without giving a thought to real beauty.”
4. “Make the most of your carefree young life as you can.”
5. “Love, what is love? I don’t think you can really put it into words. Love is understanding someone, caring for him, sharing his joys and sorrows. This eventually includes physical love. you’ve shared something, given something away and received something in return, whether or not you’re married, whether or not you have a baby.”
6. “How noble and good everyone could be if, at the end of each day, they were to review their own behavior and weigh up the rights and wrongs. They would automatically try to do better at the start of each new day and, after a while, would certainly accomplish a great deal. Everyone is welcome to this prescription; it costs nothing and is definitely useful. Those who don’t know will have to find out by experience that “a quiet conscience gives you strength!”
If you’d like, you can order a copy of The Diary of Anne Frank here. She truly was a young woman ahead of her time. ♥
Featured image via DeSales University
Quotes Adapted Via Goodreads