Fragments: Poems, Intimate Notes, Letters is a collection, released in 2010, that is filled with previously unreleased personal notes, poems, and scribbles of Marilyn Monroe. It is a MUST read ( I get tired of that phrase but, trust me, this one is), for all Marilyn fanatics, however if you’re just a fan of the glamorous figure with the cute walk and the stunning makeup, this is not a Marilyn book you need to add to your collection.
See, Fragments offers a literary window into the soul and heart of one of the best actresses of our time. Many people know the name Marilyn. But they don’t know Norma Jeane.
It is one of the rare books I bought at full price (haha) during the week it came out and that is for very good reason. If you are a devoted fan of Marilyn, I believe wholeheartedly that you will enjoy it. Here are a few quotes from the book:
1. “There was my name up in lights. I said, ‘God, somebody’s made a mistake.’ But there it was, in lights. And I sat there and said, ‘Remember, you’re not a star.’ Yet there it was up in lights.”
2. “Trying to build myself up with the fact that I have done things right that were even good and have had moments that were excellent but the bad is heavier to carry around and feel have no confidence.”
3. “I can’t really stand Human Beings sometimes–I know they all have their problems as I have mine–but I’m really too tired for it. Trying to understand, making allowances, seeing certain things that just weary me.”
4. “feel what I feel within myself—that is trying to become aware of it also what I feel in others not being ashamed of my feeling, thoughts—or ideas realize the thing that they are—”
5. “I guess I have always been deeply terrified
at to really be someone’s wife. Since I know from life one cannot love another, ever, really.”
True Marilyn fans, I highly recommend this collection. It will be one you read, re-read, and read again.
You can pick up a copy here. ♥